Obesity is one of the upcoming issues of this century, and the dilemma of the percentage of people getting affected by it is alarming. Every day we hear about a new kind of a diet plan for weight loss, workouts and exercises to lose weight fast and several medical procedures as well that help reduce the ever-increasing weight of the people. Pre op Diet for lap band one of the most effective one.
If you too are a victim of obesity and the problem is much because of overeating, then you must consult your doctor to get the gastric band surgery.
- 1 What is a Band lap or Gastric Band Surgery?
- 2 Cost of Lap Band Surgery
- 3 Pre op Diet for lap band
- 4 Mexico Bariatric Center Success Stories
- 5 Lap-Band Surgery Recovery Guide
What is a Band lap or Gastric Band Surgery?
A gastric band surgery is the one in which, via the operative medical technique, a silicon band is passed through one part of your stomach so that it appears like a pouch to hold food. The lower part of the stomach remains empty. The upper part that serves as a pouch is linked to the small intestine so that the food comes in it and gets digested and passed out. This results in the less food consumption by the person as he feels fuller and does not feel hungry anymore. Only a couple of ounces of food can stay in this pouch. So you eat less, you lose more weight.
Benefits of getting the gastric band surgery
This surgery is thought to be one of the most successful and productive types of operations for weight loss. There are several advantages that you can avail when you get this surgery.
- It is a very safe kind of surgery for weight loss as the procedure is simple and the chances of getting complications are minimal if you get a good surgeon to perform it.
- Another fantastic benefit of this surgery is that you can get your stomach back to the original position whenever you desire. The addition of the band does not alter the anatomy of the stomach in any single way so if the results are not wanted or there is some other concern; you can get the stomach back again to normal.
- The gastric band surgery has the success rate of 50-60% when we talk about the weight loss after it. Of course, the results could vary from case to case, but for most of the cases, the results were as expected.
- The procedure takes from 30 to 45 minutes to complete, and the recovery of the patient is quick. The scars get healed up within a week, but that too depends on the variation in every case.
Complications & Risks of Gastric Banding
We all know that risks and complications are a part of every surgery. If you talk to your doctor in details about all the health issues you are facing, you can easily overcome these risks. Let us have a look at them in detail.
Surgical Risks and Complications
- Adverse reactions to anesthesia
- Acute reactions to medication
- Deep vein thrombosis, i.e., the blood clot in legs
- Pulmonary embolus, i.e., the blood clot in the lungs
Post-Surgery medical health issues (Short Termed)
For about one week after the surgery, from the time your anesthesia starts wearing off, you can experience these symptoms in your body, and that could be the post-surgical effect.
- Pain in the left shoulder
- Breathlessness and not being able to take long breaths
- Sharp pain in the chest when trying to breathe deeply
- Redness, pain, and swelling in the calf muscles
- Wound pain, redness, swelling, itching and bruising in the sutures
- Pain in the breastbone
All these issues are short termed and could last only for a week. If the pain in any part of the body increases, you must consult your doctor or rush to a hospital emergency to get the treatment. The painkillers and antibiotics given to you after the surgery are usually sufficient to kill the pain, but if the things get out of hands, you should not ignore it.
Post-Surgery medical health issues (Long Termed)
There are the symptoms and issues that could occur after a week of the surgery has passed. These problems normally occur if you have not followed the instructions given by the physician to be taken care of after surgery. The good news is, these complications occur rarely and could be treated as well.
- Retching, nausea, vomiting, heartburn, and pain
- An over tight band (it would need band adjustment)
- Inflammation and swelling in the stomach pouch
- Band slippage or displacement
- Erosion of the gastric band around the stomach
- Flipping and leakage of the band port
Although the rate of these long-term issues after the gastric banding surgery is very low, still they can occur from time to time. It is important to learn all the risk factors and complications linked to this surgery before you get it. Since the addition of the gastric band around the stomach is not something that occurs in nature, some wear and tear is expected and hence the risks. If you know what can happen later on, it will become easier to avoid it in future.
Cost of Lap Band Surgery
Lap band surgery is not a very inexpensive surgery; it asks for a good fortune to be invested in it. Still, if you get the desired results, it’s worth it. However, you must not overlook the fact that choosing the perfect surgeon for the case is very important.
Side Effects of Lap-Band
Although the Lap-Band surgery is a very innovative idea to take and get the surgery for a slimmer you in the future, you must understand that several things are going to change for you in the coming days. You could not enjoy the eating process the way you used to before. It is therefore important to learn how your life will get changed with this band so you can cater to the new issues.
- You will have to be very conscious of eating. You will have to eat slowly and steadily, without having to gulp the food or even any drink. Too much pressure of food on the lap band would not be very comfortable for your stomach so abide by this rule to keep a healthy stomach.
- You would get used to the regular pain in the chest after the band surgery as the gastric band exerts pressure upwards. No rushing required the food.
- You will have to say goodbye to certain comfort foods as well since they can be band unfriendly. Eating a hamburger is not a good idea for the people with the band surgery.
- The bowel movements would not be the same for you anymore. There will be no gravity helping you with passing the stool so you will have to take it slowly. No rushing to the toilet as well.
- The sores are a likely chance to appear in your insides, and they could trouble you a lot as well. There could be internal swelling that you cannot see, but the inflammation inside would tell the nevertheless.
Post-Operative Guide to Lap-Band
The success of the lap band surgery greatly depends upon the post-surgery performance of the person. Here is a brief guide to it.
- Be careful with the dressings on the wound, try to take a shower while avoiding the bath.
- Redness and warmth around incision could be the infection, get antibiotics regularly and get checked by the doctor
- Be sure to take your medicines regularly and exercise the way you are suggested on the regular basis
- Be careful to follow the diet that has been advised for you
- Follow the instruction for eating to avoid reflux, vomiting, and inflammation
- If you feel anything other than normal, you must talk to your physician right in time
- Taking proper rest is essential to make a recovery successful after the surgery
- Do not overexert yourself in anything for at least a whole month after the surgery
Pre op Diet for lap band
Now that you have had the lap band surgery, your stomach is smaller, and you have to eat less food in a new way to get the desired results. The doctor will tell you the detailed instructions for the Pre op Diet for lap band. Here we describe them shortly.
- Take around 20-30 minutes to eat the meal. Chew slowly and swallow with ease. Wait for the food to get smooth before swallowing it. Too fast eating could lead to vomit or pain in the chest bone.
- Split your day into six smaller meals in place of three larger ones. Snacking is not allowed between the meals.
- Stop eating as soon as you eat fully.
- Do not eat anything if you don’t feel hungry.
- Do not drink after 30 minutes of having the meal. No water between the meals.
- Take small sips of water, do not gulp.
- Avoid calories and increase proteins in your diet
- Add these things majorly to your diet, i.e., skinless chicken, lean beef, fish, eggs, beans, low-fat dairy products, lots of salads, multivitamins and essential proteins.
Recommended to Read: Your 2 Weeks out Bodybuilding Diet for Perfect Shape
Mexico Bariatric Center Success Stories
There are many named in the field of lap band surgeries, but the Mexico Bariatric Centre has facilitated a big number of people who wanted to change their lives and live like other normal people. The lap band surgery is ideal for the people suffering from obesity, and they have now gone so obese that they cannot control it. This surgery helps people come back to life and enjoy it once again. The success stories of the people who lost their weight as promised by this surgery have been shared so you get to know that it is all real, not just a dream.
The success of the surgery and the post-op issues are greatly dependent upon the expertise of the surgeon. People feel comfortable with the experts at our center, and they love to start their new journey with us.
Lap-Band Surgery Recovery Guide
As discussed earlier, the success of the surgery is not just how well the operation went; it is about how well the post-op time is going for the person. You have to follow all the instructions given to you about the diet and the exercise all. Here we have gathered the tips that will help you recover soon from the effects of the surgery so you could give a better start to new life.
- Make sure that you are taking enough rest after the surgery. You will have to limit the physical activity of the body just the way the doctor has recommended for the first week, and you will start with the new routine from the second week as advised by the doctor.
- You would have to follow the diet after the surgery. For the first week of recovery, you will only take the liquids and clear fluids. This would mainly include fruit juices, broths, and skimmed milk. Then gradually you can add solid foods to your diet but only the way you have been instructed.
- Make sure you are following all the guidelines from your doctor to recover soon and well. Focus on resting, diet, and exercise to get the most from the surgery you spent a fortune on.
- The typical activities of your life before the surgery could be resumed from four to six weeks of the surgery, so you have to take good rest in those days and don’t overburden yourself at all.
- Lap band does need adjustment by your physician as well, and he will decide on them in the weeks after the surgery. So make sure to stay in touch with the doctor, so you know well in time what to do.