Windows 10 is currently the main Microsoft operating systems available on the market. It is now three years old but is still as relevant as ever. In fact, Microsoft Windows fans can’t seem to get enough of it. That being said, one of the most versatile features users seem to enjoy is the Windows 10 custom themes.
Microsoft Windows itself is one of the oldest and most trusted operating systems in the world. Over the years users have grown accustomed to the convenient graphical user interface based operating system and are always more than eager to get their hands on the newest version. I myself have been using Windows for the better part of three decades and it is still my favorite in comparison to such popular alternatives as Mac OS X, Linux, SteamOS, and Ubuntu.
If you’re like me, and millions of other PC owners, chances are that you’ve been using Windows for several years. In that case, you’re bound to have gotten bored of seeing the same old skin every day. Luckily Windows 10 developers have taken this fact into consideration.
Recommended to Read: iOS emulator for Android
Now you can completely customize the cosmetic aspects of your favorite desktop operating system, with Windows 10 custom themes. Installing a custom theme will allow you to change the appearance of everything from icons and scroll bars to the mouse pointer, desktop, and more.
So, how can you easily install and run Windows 10 custom themes on your machine? Continue reading the 13 best Windows 10 Custom Themes
And everything you need to know about them to find out!
- 1 Deciding Which Type Of Custom Theme Is Right For You
- 2 Installing a Windows 10 Custom Theme From A Third Party
- 3 Installing A Windows 10 Custom Theme From Microsoft
- 4 The Best Windows 10 Custom Themes
- 4.1 Themes based on games and movies
- 4.2 Themes based on popular operating systems
- 4.3 Themes with the highest ratings by Windows 10 Users
- 4.4 Other cool themes that come highly recommended
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions About Windows 10 Custom Themes
- 5.1 What are Windows 10 custom themes?
- 5.2 Are Windows 10 custom themes safe to run and install on my computer?
- 5.3 Why should I consider using a Windows 10 custom theme?
- 5.4 Do I need additional software to install a Windows 10 custom theme on my computer?
- 5.5 Where can I find free Windows 10 custom themes online?
Deciding Which Type Of Custom Theme Is Right For You
The first step to installing a custom theme for Windows 10 on your computer is deciding which one is right for you. Their options are nearly limitless, however, before you go any further you need to take into consideration whether you’re going install an official theme or a custom theme developed by a third-party.
I would highly suggest a third-party theme for several reasons. First of all, they are just way cooler in general. Secondly, they cover more than just the basics. Many third-party themes allow for the customization of just about every little aspect of your operating system. Windows themes are not nearly as in depth and have been rated as dull and boring by Windows users in comparison to third-party themes.
Regardless of your decision, I am going to walk you through the installation process for both. Please keep in mind that third-party themes are technically not supported by Microsoft. In the case that you choose to use one, you should always create a system restore point on your computer before installing the custom theme.
Installing a Windows 10 Custom Theme From A Third Party
- You will need to select a proper software for the patching of your operating system prior to the actual installation of a Windows 10 custom theme. I would suggest either UxStyle, UltraUXThemePatcher, or UXTheme Patcher. All three are patching software that is trusted by thousands of Windows users. However, feel free to conduct your own search and use what you feel comfortable with.
- After you have made a decision on which software to use to install your third-party custom theme for Windows, run and install the software. Once you have finished you will want to reboot your computer for optimal performance before continuing.
- Next, you will want to find, select, and download the actual theme that you wish to install on your PC. I have included a list of popular themes in the later part of this article that you can refer to in order to find the best theme for you. However, by all means, feel free to conduct a search of your own!
- Finally, from the downloads section of your file explorer, select the folder for the theme you have chosen to install. Inside the folder, you will need to copy both the .msstyles and .theme extension files. After that, type C:\Windows\Resources\Themes into your search bar (as per the screenshot below) and promptly paste the files you copied into this folder. Double Click on the .theme extension file and you’re all done!
Installing A Windows 10 Custom Theme From Microsoft
- Browse and download a custom theme from the official Microsoft website.
- From the downloads section of your computer, unpack the downloaded theme.
- From anywhere on your desktop right-click and select Personalize. Next, click themes and then find the desired theme and select Use Custom Themes.
The Best Windows 10 Custom Themes
Themes based on games and movies
One of my very favorite themes. This bad boy features all of the best Star Wars characters including Darth Vader himself to the infamous Boba Fet. You can also customize your theme your favorite star wars vehicles like tie fighters, AT-ATs and more. If you love the Star Wars serious you do not want to miss out on this amazing theme.
Are you a fan of Harry, Dumbledore, Lord Voldemort, Hogwarts and more? If so you will want to download this theme and start experiencing the magic right away! Elements of the Harry Potter series comes to life on your Windows desktop with the simple download and installation of this truly magical theme pack. What are you waiting for?
World Of Warcraft
What gamer among us doesn’t remember this classic game? Hunter, mage, rogue, paladin or priest, this epic theme for Windows 10 does not discriminate amongst classes of hero! Download and install the World of Warcraft custom theme pack today and enjoy all of the pleasure of WOW without losing hours of productivity from your day.
Themes based on popular operating systems
This top-of-the-line theme has been a total hit with Windows fans ever since the first day of its release. With functions that allow you the experience of running Windows on your favorite retired operating systems such as Windows XP, and Windows 7, you simply can’t go wrong choosing this custom theme for your machine.
Mac OS X EI Capitan
One of the most popular OS-type Windows 10 custom themes on the market today. This sleek Mac inspired theme is a copycat of the Mac OS X EI Capitan operating system. If you are a Mac fan, or simply a Windows user who wishes to see what the competition looks like up close and personal, then this is, by all means, the theme for you!
Have you ever heard of the alternative OS called Ubuntu? This sweet little theme is based on the Ubuntu operating system. Whether you’re already a fan, or would like to learn what Ubuntu is all about, this theme gives you the opportunity to explore the world of computing through the eyes of Ubuntu on Windows 10.
Themes with the highest ratings by Windows 10 Users
Tired of the same old Windows 10 color scheme? This nifty theme is available in green, blue, orange, and pink. Flattastic has quickly become well-loved by Windows users all over the world. Fun and colorful, this Windows 10 custom theme will brighten up your operating system in absolutely no time at all!
A simple and smooth custom theme for your Windows 10 operating system. Oxford is lacking in many of the advanced theme options, however, it more than gets the job done. Transform your operating system into an elegant and professional user-friendly desktop today by downloading and installing Oxford.
The cool and sleek design that is Diversityx VS was created to celebrate the diversity found all over the globe. With a tasteful yet darkish style, you can not go wrong downloading and installing this Windows 10 custom theme if you are a fan of all the diversity the world has to offer. Celebrate your unique human heritage with this theme pack!
Recommended to Read : Best HTML Editors
Other cool themes that come highly recommended
Available in all of the colors of the rainbow, the Silk theme is one of the most colorful that you will find to replace your dull and boring standard Windows 10 theme. This theme will turn your desktop into a versatile notebook-like experience that the creative artist deep down inside of you is surely going to enjoy.
Do you enjoy darker schemes for your Windows 10 operating system? If so, you will definitely want to check out this amazing new custom theme for Windows. A truly alluring design that is sure to please even the pickiest critic. Stop staring at the same old theme on your operating system and install this exciting theme today!
Are you a Sci-Fi fan? This could be just the theme you have been looking for. Theme Sci-Fi is one of the most out-of-this-world designs that are available on the market for Windows 10 custom themes. What are you waiting for? Let loose the geek whose been hiding inside, download and install these theme on your machine.
Last on the list, but surely not least, the Ades Theme is one of the most popular ever with Windows 10 users. Are you tired of the same old lame design? Change up the features of your Windows operating system including mouse pointer, scroll bars, desktop and more with this beautifully crafted theme pack.
Recommended to Read : Best C++ IDE
Frequently Asked Questions About Windows 10 Custom Themes
What are Windows 10 custom themes?
Windows 10 custom themes are customized visual-styles for your Windows operating system. They allow you to change the appearance of things like your desktop, mouse pointer, and scroll bar.
Are Windows 10 custom themes safe to run and install on my computer?
Yes, they are absolutely safe to use. Many themes are available directly from Microsoft as well as from well-trusted third-party developers.
Why should I consider using a Windows 10 custom theme?
A: Multiple reasons. Custom themes are a great way to break the boredom of seeing the same old user interface day after day. If you are a sports fan or film lover, they are a nice way to celebrate what you love. They are also an excellent way to support third-party developers.
Do I need additional software to install a Windows 10 custom theme on my computer?
Yes, you will need a small piece of software known as a patcher in order to install a Windows 10 custom theme on your machine. These can be easily found and downloaded for free online. I suggest UxStyle, UltraUXThemePatcher, or UXTheme Patcher. All three can be safely obtained via a quick google search.
Where can I find free Windows 10 custom themes online?
The following four websites are highly recommended by Windows 10 users for selecting and downloading free custom themes!
Deviantart.com : One of the more popular spots to download Windows 10 custom themes. You can find just about anything here.
108themes.com : Another awesome site for downloading Windows 10 custom themes with plenty of variety for you to choose from.
Themepack.me : This is a good alternative site to find and select a Windows 10 theme from the large available selection they keep posted.
WinCustomize.com : Last but not least, WinCustomize has a lot to offer, from Windows 7, 8, and 10 themes to wallpapers and more. Just about anything you need for customizing your Windows experience can be found here.